About Joe Cerame
JOE H. CERAME
45 Essex Street, Hackensack, NJ 07601
Admitted to New Jersey Bar in 1969
Admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, the Third Circuit Court of Appeals, United States District Court (NJ, SDNY and EDNY), Tax Court of the United States and the Courts of the State of New Jersey.
Formerly certified as a Trial Attorney by the New Jersey Supreme Court Board of Trial Attorney Certification.
- Presiding Judge of the Central Municipal Court of Bergen County (1997 to 2005).
- Arbitrator, American Arbitration Association (1999 to 2003).
- Arbitrator, (NASD) National Association of Securities Dealers, now identified as (FINRA) Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (2002 to present).
- Arbitrator, National Arbitration Forum (2004 to present).
- Arbitrator, National Arbitration and Mediation.
- Mediator, qualified and practicing under New Jersey Court Rule 1:40
- Eligible for membership in New Jersey Association of Professional Mediators.
- Adjunct Professor at Seton Hall Law School (2004-2007).
- Bergen County Bar Association Alternate Dispute Resolution Committee
- Cresskill Borough Atty. (1987-1989, 1991 to 1996).
- Dumont Special Litigation Counsel (1992).
- Member “Cresskill Zoning Board of Adjustment” (1981-1983).
- Cresskill Borough Prosecutor (1981-1984).
- Successfully prosecuted before the New Jersey Supreme Court the case of State vs. Mulcahy.
- Closter Municipal Court Prosecutor.
- Woodcliff Lake Zoning Bd. of Adj. (1993 to 2005). (Counsel)
- Cresskill Zoning Board of Adjustment (1997 to 1999). (Counsel)
- Counsel for Interreligious Fellowship for the Homeless of Bergen County, Inc. (1992 – 2001).
- NJ-Superior Court Accredited Mediator (2003 to present).
- Leadership New Jersey (1998).
- Member, Supreme Court Committee on Complementary Dispute Resolution (1999 to 2011).
- American Bar Association (1969 to 2000).
- New Jersey State Bar Association (1969 to Present).
- Trial Attorneys of New Jersey (1982 to 1992).
- Supreme Court Committee Task Force on Special Civil Part (1986 to 1988).
- Bergen County Legal Services, Board of Trustees, Member (1984 to 1997), Chairman (1988 to 1995), Member and Chairman Client-Eligible Search Committee (1988 to 1996), Chairman Fund Raising Committee (1996-1997);
- Recipient, 1996 Pro Bono Award for public service from Bergen County Legal Services and recognition of same by New Jersey Senate Resolution.
- Bergen County Bar Association (1969 to present), Member Board of Trustees (1988 to 1997).
- Former member of various Bergen County Bar Association Sub-committees.
- Member; Advisory Board of Center for Hispanic Policy, Research & Development (1996 to 2002).
- Member; Hispanic Business and Professional Association (1988 to 1995), Officer (1990); Spanish American Cultural Association of Bergenfield, Inc. (1990 – 1997). Awarded “Man of the Year 1992” by S.A.C.A.B.
- Member; Hispanic Bar Association of NJ (1990 to 2010), Trustee Region III (1990 to 1997 and 2004 to 2010), and Hispanic Bar Association of USA (1990 to 2010). Endorsed by both organizations for nomination to the Judiciary.
- Member; Board of Trustees of Englewood Hispanic Association and Counsel (1993 to 1997).
- Member; appointed by Bergen County Executive, Bergen County Hispanic American Advisory Commission (1993 to 1997), Secretary (1995), Chairman (1996).
- Member, Board of Directors, Children’s Day Nursery & Family Center, Passaic, NJ (1996-2010).
- Member, Bergen County Hispanic-American Chamber of Commerce, now known as Hispanic Business Council a member of Commerce & Industry Association of New Jersey (CIA-NJ) (1993 to 2006).
- Bergen County Mandatory Settlement Conference Panel (1982 to 1997).
- Arbitrator and Mediator under Court Rule 4:21a.
- Member Court Rule 4:21 Medical Malpractice Sub Panel.
- Investigator Ethics Committee Bergen County North.
- Equitable Receiver (to close) law office of Richard A. Kurland, Esq., deceased.
- N.J. Supreme Court Fee Arbitration Committee Bergen County South (1984-1988) Chairman 1988. Reappointed 2007 to 2011.
- B.S. Fordham University, School of Business (1961)
- J.D. St. John’s University, School of Law (1968).
- United States Marine Corps (1957 to 1960).